Sunday, April 3, 2011

T-ball

Spring is here, so it's time to get out of the house and have some fun. Alivia has been doing well in ballet, so t-ball sounded perfect for Aaron. But I have twins, so why not sign both of them up for t-ball. I bought them each a mitt and ball and started practicing with them right away. It was apparent that Alivia was more interested in it and also had a little more coordination than Aaron. But I must also say that they were just barely old enough to join t-ball. We only had one practice before the first game, and that didn't go very well. First off, the field is near a playground, so they just wanted to go play on the toys. They were being so shy they wouldn't even say their name and age to the other players. Instead of participating in the drills they clung to my leg or played in dirt. I tried everything to get them excited about playing, I even tried bribing, I also had to chase Baylee around, it was utterly exhausting! Practice lasted about an hour and a half, and it wasn't until the last 20 minutes that they finally decided to join in. They each took a couple turns swinging the bat, and were able to hit the ball a couple times.


First game of the season was just two days later. We were supposed to be at the field at 9am for Opening Ceremonies, only we didn't make it. Aaron refused to get dressed, told me he didn't want to go and that the uniform was itchy and kept taking it off. Again I resorted to bribery, and an hour later he was dressed and ready to go. We arrived at the field early enough to watch Alivia's besty play her game, then off to get team pictures taken. Yet another struggle, of course they didn't want to get their picture taken, and wanted to go home already. Matt was there to help out, but mainly he just kept an eye on Baylee while I did all the hard work.























Let the game (crying) begin. We were up to bat first, which helped because that's the fun part.

Alivia
Here's a video of Aaron's very first time up to bat, and Alivia's first time running in to home plate.
You should be able to click on the video after you click play to make it bigger
Alivia really got the hang of it after a while and I think she had fun, although she did tell me she wanted to go home several times. Aaron on the other hand needed lots of help from the coaches, he would just walk to each base and that's while everyone was yelling to run! Each time Aaron was up to bat I had to literally push him on to the field and only once the coach handed him the bat would he stop fighting me. The last inning in the outfield was the funniest. Alivia would run after every ball, but so would 5 other players so she didn't really have a chance of getting it, but at least she tried! Aaron just stood out there, even when a ball came right to him, he didn't even flinch. Matt actually had to go out with him, but he still ended up crying about it. Alivia's glove came off so she just walked right off the field and all the way around the fence to where I was sitting so that I could help her put it back on, even though dad was right there on the field along with 4 coaches. But she did tell me after practice that she doesn’t like talking to the coach because he's a boy, and she only likes girls.
I realize it's just the first game, so I'm hopeful thing will get better.

No comments: